THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO MY TWIN BROTHER, BILL DYKES (1943-1995). WE WERE NOT ONLY BROTHERS BUT PARTNERS IN BUSINESS AND BEST FRIENDS! AND TO ALL THE "BUTCHERS" THAT HAVE PASSED ON TO THE BIG LOT IN THE SKY!


CIRCUS NOW OPEN!

2014 Convention

SAVE THE DATES

SAVE THE DATES



Monday, December 8, 2008

NOVELTY JOINTS FROM THE PAST

These photos are from the Howard Tibbals Collection at
The Ringling Museum in Sarasota.
Dates are unknow, but they were on the Ringling Show in the Big Top years.
You can see how the stock has changed.
Back then it was Whips, Canes,Kewpie Dolls, Fur Monkeys on a stick, Umbrellas
and Pennants. And don't forget Celluloid Airplane Windmills!


5 comments:

  1. Dick-didn't you and Bill have umbrellas back in the late 80'?
    How times have changed, now the kids can go the Teddy Bear Factory in the mall and make their own bear (reindeer now).
    Who woudda thought?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes We did Mike.
    We always had them, they had chinese designs on them and look like they were made out of thin silk. Come to think of it they probably were! Always a nice item for the little girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dick,
    I've been admiring your site here, the last couple of months, and these pictures bring to mind the old "whirly birds" that used to be sold. Do you, or do you know of anyone, that might have 1 or 2 of those "whirly birds" for sale???
    Please advise!
    Peter Sturgis aka
    Pete, the Baraboobian!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pete you must be referring to the bird on stick. I have a few left but I've kinda kept them for old time sake! They used to be my specialty item for the come-in.
    I called them Twetty Birds and they were a helluva $1.00 item to getr the folks started buying. I'll take a picture of them and post it on tomorrows post. Thanks for the nice words about my site.
    If you happen to have anything you would like to share on my blog just e-mail me at dickdykes@verizon.com.
    I would really appreciate it. Dick

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to seeing those pictures of the Tweety Birds. I still want to buy acouple, if anybody knows where I can get them!
    Pete, the Baraboobian!

    ReplyDelete


TO VISIT OUR PAST POSTS--SCROLL DOWN THE SIDE BAR. ALSO LINKS ARE FURTHER DOWN