THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO MY TWIN BROTHER, BILL DYKES (1943-1995). WE WERE NOT ONLY BROTHERS BUT PARTNERS IN BUSINESS AND BEST FRIENDS! AND TO ALL THE "BUTCHERS" THAT HAVE PASSED ON TO THE BIG LOT IN THE SKY!


CIRCUS NOW OPEN!

2014 Convention

SAVE THE DATES

SAVE THE DATES



Thursday, June 16, 2011

Contortionists, tightropes and acrobatics, oh my!

New exhibit brings the circus to the city


Jeanne Noonan for NewsNY

Daily News reporter Jacob Osterhout tries out the tightrope walk at the new circus exhibit

By Jacob E. Osterhout DAILY NEWS FEATURE REPORTER

Wednesday, June 15th 2011

It's a scientifically proven fact that nothing is more fun than the circus.
But not everyone can run off and join the show. So the New York Hall of Science in Queens has the next best thing, an interactive exhibit that allows New Yorkers of all ages to learn the science secrets behind their favorite circus acts.
"Circus! Science Under the Big Top" opened June 11 at the museum in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park. As a circus lover, I, along with close to 100 kids from various local schools, was granted a sneak peek at the unique exhibit.
After a morning of trying my hand at tightrope walking, trapeze acrobatics and body contortion, let's just say it's a good thing I still have a day job.


Jeanne Noonan for News

A harness strapped to the ceiling kept our reporter safe as he made his way across the thin metal wire.
My guide, Alyssa December, must've done her research. Upon our introduction, she takes one look at me and walks straight to the carnival-show tent. There I learn how much pressure it takes to bend a metal bar and how to properly swallow a sword. (Hint: Straighten the esophagus and don't sneeze.)
We then move to the contortionist part of the exhibit, and I attempt to fold all 6 feet of myself into a glass box whose dimensions are 20 by 21 by 20 inches.
As a slew of elementary school students laugh at my inflexibility, I succeed in fitting nearly 70% of my body into the cube.read more at:http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/2011/06/15/2011-06-15_contortionists_tightropes_and_acrobatics_oh_my_new_exhibit_brings_the_circus_to_.html





No comments:

Post a Comment


TO VISIT OUR PAST POSTS--SCROLL DOWN THE SIDE BAR. ALSO LINKS ARE FURTHER DOWN