Penza state circus
The Penza circus was founded by Nikitin brothers in 1873. In 1920–1950 the shows of circus in Penza took place in temporary constructions and circuses-chapiteaus. In 1933, the circus “Krasnogvardeez” was built. Here the circus performances were held regularly and enjoyed great popularity. The building survived the Great Patriotic War and was demolished only in 1959.
The next six years the circus shows were held on the summer circus-chapiteau arena. And in 1965 the absolutely new building of the circus opened its doors for audience. Its capacity was 1400 spectators.
There were well-known national actors of the USSR and Russia which performed on the arena of the circus in Penza. Among them were the Durovs, the Kios, the Kantemirovs, the Zapashnyes, the Volzhanskys, Oleg Popov, Irina Bugrimova, Yury Averino and many others.
The Penza circus gave performance on a tour in Brazil, Uruguay, France, Australia and Japan. In 1973, it was awarded the order of Badge of Honor.
Circuses from different regions and countries perform at the Penza circus. However, Penza actors are also well known for their show programs. Three attractions and 13 shows, which have success not only in Russia but abroad, were organized there.
There are various folk circus troupes and schools specialized in circus amateur art, whose students were many times the winners of the international competitions.
Full text news agency "PenzaNews": http://penzanews.ru/en/entertainment/circus