THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO MY TWIN BROTHER, BILL DYKES (1943-1995). WE WERE NOT ONLY BROTHERS BUT PARTNERS IN BUSINESS AND BEST FRIENDS! AND TO ALL THE "BUTCHERS" THAT HAVE PASSED ON TO THE BIG LOT IN THE SKY!


CIRCUS NOW OPEN!

2014 Convention

SAVE THE DATES

SAVE THE DATES



Saturday, May 22, 2010

LEWIS & CLARK CIRCUS IN VIRGINIA


At traveling circus, it's all about the spectators
By Clara H. Vaughn • Staff Writer • May 22, 2010
ONANCOCK -- The spectators at a circus focus on the performance.
The performers at the traveling circus that arrived in town for three shows this week focused on the spectators.
"The audience forgets about the things going on in their lives," said Ringmaster Rebecca Ostroff. "They become the act. It's so close, so kinetic."
After several years without stopping on the Eastern Shore, the Lewis and Clark Circus returned Monday and Tuesday to a warm welcome at the Onancock School grounds despite cloudy, rainy skies.
All ages came out to enjoy the one-ring, European-style circus featuring acts like trapeze artists, acrobats, clowns and animal acts, all under a big yellow-and-red-striped tent.
Traditional circus fare including cotton candy, popcorn and funnel cakes, and a midway featuring a petting zoo, face painting and camel rides made for a circus experience reminiscent of bygone days.
While for some the circus marks a fun evening out, for performers like Ostroff, it is a lifestyle.
Ostroff began her performing career as a dancer in New York City. In 1986, a friend convinced her to go to the International All-Star Circus to try her hand at it."My friend said I could earn $450 in three days," she said. "That was a lot in those days."Realizing circus work allowed her to fulfill her passion for dance, Ostroff was hooked."I decided to get a trapeze and join," she said. "I ran away with the circus officially in 1987."Since then Ostroff and her husband have worked under many circuses, she as a trapeze and silkscreen artist, he as a live musician.
Ostroff began with the Lewis and Clark Circus in 2004.
In March of this year, Ostroff took over as ringmaster of the show, "because I like to talk," she joked.
She says that while circuses have had to downsize, the experience is "similar to how it was in the old, old days.
"This year's big top housed performances ranging from the lighthearted antics of Jose Jose, a clown with a zest for music, to breath-holding physical feats as one performer dangled from the top of the tent by only her teeth.
All in all, about 30 people travel with the circus."We're like a family. We are a family," said Ostroff, saying her favorite part is "when people come and they love it."
Lewis & Clark is playing Fruitland, Md. Today
Tomorrow and Monday Hurlock, MD

3 comments:

  1. never again! I was misquoted I sound like a goof!
    I never said anything about the circus satisfying "my passion for dance"

    there is no dancing in the circus!
    people can call it that but it is not dancing!!just step touches and feathers on the tush.

    My first show was a shrine date I went on a lark, the scratch was good .We were 3 dancers from NYC.

    there is no Jose Jose the clown. He is Joey the Clown

    I guess next time I have the privledge of an interview ,I really need to read what you are going to publish..cause golly gee whiz honey I don't need any help sounding like the village idiot!

    There are more misquotes but I suppose it doesn't really matter to anyone but me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Rebecca!
    I just report the article.
    Next time I'll have to clear it with you.
    I'll be visiting show on Sunday in Harrington and you can give me the devil then!
    Dick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dick,

    I was refering to the reporter! ha ha! not you!
    by the way you do an admirable job posting and sharing all the circus news !!

    see you Sunday!

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete


TO VISIT OUR PAST POSTS--SCROLL DOWN THE SIDE BAR. ALSO LINKS ARE FURTHER DOWN