THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO MY TWIN BROTHER, BILL DYKES (1943-1995). WE WERE NOT ONLY BROTHERS BUT PARTNERS IN BUSINESS AND BEST FRIENDS! AND TO ALL THE "BUTCHERS" THAT HAVE PASSED ON TO THE BIG LOT IN THE SKY!


CIRCUS NOW OPEN!

2014 Convention

SAVE THE DATES

SAVE THE DATES



Tuesday, April 3, 2012

My perfect weekend: Gerry Cottle, circus owner

Gerry Cottle, the circus owner, shares his favourite weekend.

 
Posted by Picasa
Life under the big top: Gerry Cottle with members of his circus, many of whom trained at the school he set up at Wookey Hole Photo: HEATHCLIFF O'MALLEY
from: telegraph.co.uk
By Anna Tyzack
02 Apr 2012
Everything I do at the weekend seems to be tied to the business of circuses and I wouldn’t have it any other way. When I’m not travelling with my – Gerry Cottle’s – circus, I’ll be at a circus festival in Eastern Europe or in London watching a magic show by the Dutch illusionist Hans Klok. I try to see shows in Florida and Las Vegas as much as I can. Honestly, for me circus has been a lifelong obsession.
If I’m travelling with my circus – which I still choose to do, even though I have excellent managers – Friday evening tends to be quite quiet. After setting up the show and rushing around doing publicity and last-minute arrangements, a relaxing night in the caravans is in order before the show starts on Saturday. We travel with beautiful American caravans which have sides extending out four feet – the living area is bigger than most people’s sitting rooms. My caravan has a dishwasher, flushing loo, shower, television and a silent generator; a far cry from when I first ran away with the circus 50 years ago and had to rough it in a tent and wash at the public baths.
On Saturday and Sunday there are usually two shows per day. It’s daredevil stuff. There’s a crossbow act who fires at a balloon on his partner’s head; a blindfolded high-wire act and a boneless boy who squeezes himself into a bottle. Two of my daughters do trapeze acts and big magic tricks – we cut them up and make them disappear – and my son, Gerry Jnr, works on publicity for the shows. (Poor lad. I probably wouldn’t have chosen that name in another life: it gets very confusing.) Then, on Sunday evening we start dismantling and moving everything on to the next town. It’s hard work and not all honey, but I adore it.
When I’m not travelling with the circus, I’ll be at home at Wookey Hole, the visitor attraction in Somerset I bought in 2003. It has prehistoric caves, penny arcades and restaurants, and I’ve created a circus museum and a large hotel. Every Saturday afternoon we host a circus at Wookey featuring local children. They’re exceptionally good, having been trained three evenings a week at my circus school.
I originally bought Wookey Hole because I wanted a permanent base for a circus. The industry was going through a tough time, largely because of the horrendous taxes in this country. It was a drastic move as I am a Londoner at heart and had been living beside the M25, a stone’s throw from my partner Anna Carter’s [of Carter’s Steam Fair] place in Maidenhead. Suddenly I was up and down the M4 like a yo-yo, trying to keep one step ahead of the speed cameras.
READ MOREl
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/my-perfect-weekend/9180575/My-perfect-weekend-Gerry-Cottle-circus-owner.html

No comments:

Post a Comment


TO VISIT OUR PAST POSTS--SCROLL DOWN THE SIDE BAR. ALSO LINKS ARE FURTHER DOWN