THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO MY TWIN BROTHER, BILL DYKES (1943-1995). WE WERE NOT ONLY BROTHERS BUT PARTNERS IN BUSINESS AND BEST FRIENDS! AND TO ALL THE "BUTCHERS" THAT HAVE PASSED ON TO THE BIG LOT IN THE SKY!


CIRCUS NOW OPEN!

2014 Convention

SAVE THE DATES

SAVE THE DATES



Friday, October 26, 2012


Cirque du Soleil goes indoors with latest show
‘Dralion’ comes to Long Beach as an arena show, but the usual attractions remain.
 
Posted by Picasa
Amanda Oroxco performs with her partner Lorant Markocsany, from Hungary. Their "Dralion" act is called Pas de Deux.
PHOTO BY DANIEL DESMARAIS

By PAUL HODGINS / THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER
From:  ocregister.com
Oct. 26, 2012
How many kids have ever come home from the circus and told their parents, "I know what I want to do when I grow up"?
That's precisely what happened to Amanda Orozco.
As a girl of 12 in her native Orlando, Fla., Orozco saw Cirque du Soleil's "La Nouba". She was mesmerized. "At that moment, I knew I wanted to work with them," Orozco said.
 You can see Orozco live out her fantasy when Cirque's "Dralion" opens at the Long Beach Arena on Nov. 1 – only the second time a traveling Cirque show has been presented indoors locally instead of in the Quebec circus' traditional big-top.
 Orozco, 23, is making her Cirque du Soleil debut in this national touring production of "Dralion." She specializes in a routine called aerial silks, in which a graceful ballet is performed while the performer is suspended mid-air on a silken fabric.
 "I know, it's kind of a whimsical fairy tale story, too cliché to actually be true," Orozco said. "My mom took me to see 'La Nouba' for my 12th birthday. I was completely enamored by all of it. I said, 'This is what I want to do with my life!'"
 Orozco's mother was encouraging. "But she didn't think I was going to run away and join the circus."
 Orozco began by taking lessons in competitive dance while she was in high school. "It took over my life," she recalled. "I got hired by a company in Orlando when I was only 17. They used some circus apparatus for corporate events, including aerial silks. I soon learned that my interests were in that direction."
 Determined to hone her specialty, Orozco discovered the National Circus School in Montreal.
 "I auditioned, not expecting to get in. I went more or less to learn about the circus. It seemed like such an unlikely way to make my living at that point. I thought (circus acts were) something that Russian and Chinese families passed on from generation to generation, not something a teenager from Orlando could do."
 Montreal was a big shock to Orozco, who had never lived outside of Florida before.
 "It was a huge move to go to Montreal at 18: a new culture, new language skills to learn. But I adapted fairly quickly."
read more--
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/orozco-375702-cirque-circus.html

No comments:

Post a Comment


TO VISIT OUR PAST POSTS--SCROLL DOWN THE SIDE BAR. ALSO LINKS ARE FURTHER DOWN