A circus comes to Donnybrook
March 17, 2014
Circus Day was one of the most important events of the year in old Cape Girardeau. A circus parade on Main Street preceded the show in the big tent in the Donnybrook neighborhood, a small Irish enclave on North Main Street in the vicinity of where the International Shoe Company factory would later be built.
This picture was made circa 1895-1900. The circus tent was erected on the site later occupied by the shoe factory.
The buildings are along the west side of Main Street. The Sturdivant Bank is on the far left side. Next to the bank, the two small buildings would later be bought by Louis Hecht and demolished in 1927 for construction of Hecht's store. At the time of the circus, McClatchey Saloon occupied 105 N. Main with the Diamond Cafe at 107.
The parade is shown moving north past Wilson's Drug Store, 115 N. Main, toward Broadway. In 1905, the drug store was razed and First National Bank was built at 115-117 N. Main. The bank was razed in 1959.