THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO MY TWIN BROTHER, BILL DYKES (1943-1995). WE WERE NOT ONLY BROTHERS BUT PARTNERS IN BUSINESS AND BEST FRIENDS! AND TO ALL THE "BUTCHERS" THAT HAVE PASSED ON TO THE BIG LOT IN THE SKY!


CIRCUS NOW OPEN!

2014 Convention

SAVE THE DATES

SAVE THE DATES



Thursday, December 27, 2012

Minnesota State Fair: My most memorable 2012 stories
 
By Jeff Rutherford
Ward Hall
.
By Barb Teed
from: TC Daily Planet.com
December 26, 2012
Covering the Minnesota State Fair is a hidden gem for journalists. There are countless stories to discover and 2012 was memorable because of the new food choices and the return of the sideshow.
My other memorable 2012 State Fair story was the return of the sideshow to the Midway. I had grown up with human oddity displays at the State Fair, but the show had been absent from the Fair for a number of years. When I found out the traditional sideshow was back, I arranged an interview with World of Wonders' 83-year-old owner, Ward Hall. Hall was a delight and educated me about the dignity of carny performers. I came away from my Palace of Illusions story with new admiration for the life of a carny. But they work hard, oftentimes non-stop during a Fair gig, so I don’t think I am ready to run away with the circus just yet. Photographer Jeff Rutherford captured the life of the sideshow performer in spectacular fashion.
read more at:

No comments:

Post a Comment


TO VISIT OUR PAST POSTS--SCROLL DOWN THE SIDE BAR. ALSO LINKS ARE FURTHER DOWN