THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO MY TWIN BROTHER, BILL DYKES (1943-1995). WE WERE NOT ONLY BROTHERS BUT PARTNERS IN BUSINESS AND BEST FRIENDS! AND TO ALL THE "BUTCHERS" THAT HAVE PASSED ON TO THE BIG LOT IN THE SKY!


CIRCUS NOW OPEN!

2014 Convention

SAVE THE DATES

SAVE THE DATES



Wednesday, July 17, 2013

CIRCUS TEACHES

What the circus teaches us about game development

 
Posted by Picasa
from: venturebeat.com
by Irina Vaganova
July 16, 2013
After announcing a career switch from actress to game developer, friends and colleagues asked a very natural question: “Why?” My response surprised them. They didn’t expect to hear that I was inspired to create a game because I grew up in the circus. Nor did they expect to hear that I apply lessons learned from performing in the circus to making games — and much more than I ever applied these lessons to acting.

Performing in the circus has taught me to be bold and take risks within my limits, to know my audience, to be tenacious and follow my passions. Beneath the colorful lights and whimsical costumes, the circus is a business like any other, and growing up in that environment has given me a keen understanding of the business of entertainment, which is critical when you’re starting a new gaming studio.

Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should
Surrounded by sword-swallowers, strongmen, and various daredevils, there were times I was tempted to expand my acrobatic routine with crazy stunts. I quickly learned that just because I could potentially light myself on fire while riding a horse doesn’t mean it was necessarily a good idea. We each have strengths, and it makes sense to prioritize based on those strengths. Sure, you want to do everything possible to make your game great. But that doesn’t mean you should embellish it with every bell and whistle that comes to mind. Often, simplicity is key.
Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2013/07/16/what-the-circus-teaches-us-about-game-development/#Dm8EsfFsPYKGeKJe.99

No comments:

Post a Comment


TO VISIT OUR PAST POSTS--SCROLL DOWN THE SIDE BAR. ALSO LINKS ARE FURTHER DOWN