THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO MY TWIN BROTHER, BILL DYKES (1943-1995). WE WERE NOT ONLY BROTHERS BUT PARTNERS IN BUSINESS AND BEST FRIENDS! AND TO ALL THE "BUTCHERS" THAT HAVE PASSED ON TO THE BIG LOT IN THE SKY!


CIRCUS NOW OPEN!

2014 Convention

SAVE THE DATES

SAVE THE DATES



Sunday, January 4, 2009

FOR PETE STURGIS ("The Baraboobian")

Pete here's what you were asking me about!
Sorry it took so long.
THE INFAMOUS TWEETY BIRDSome folks referred to these as "Whirly Birds"
I used them for many years as a come in and Ice Breaker item.
I worked them my self in the seats. Always demonstrated it on a Long Stick
That way I could bring it right down in front of the little kiddies faces!
Some Guys used a bird whistle to demonstrate them but for some reason
I was never able to get one to work, I think it was Me caused I could never whistle!
Always sold it for a Dollar and handed out more than I care to remember!
I would always try out two of three of them to find the best singer and put that one on the long stick.

These aren't available anymore, unless your lucky to find a jobber that might have some left from years ago.

A lot of Novelty Guys didn't like them beacaue all you could get for them back then was a $1.00 bill. But I found that they were could on come in because then the folks weren't afraid to come up against the Novelty Joint during intermission.

The last circus I worked them on was Roberts Bros in 1995.

P.S. The bird's tail has to be curled in opposite directions to make it sing!

1 comment:

  1. Dick,
    You forgot to mention that you had to bend the tails outward in order for the birds to "fly" and "sing".
    They were the PERFECT come-in item, nothing can replace them. Once the kids had them the bird sold themselves.
    Fastest dollar in show business!
    Your blog is a great way for future historians to use as a reference to how things use to be. Thanks for all time you put into it!

    ReplyDelete


TO VISIT OUR PAST POSTS--SCROLL DOWN THE SIDE BAR. ALSO LINKS ARE FURTHER DOWN