THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO MY TWIN BROTHER, BILL DYKES (1943-1995). WE WERE NOT ONLY BROTHERS BUT PARTNERS IN BUSINESS AND BEST FRIENDS! AND TO ALL THE "BUTCHERS" THAT HAVE PASSED ON TO THE BIG LOT IN THE SKY!


CIRCUS NOW OPEN!

2014 Convention

SAVE THE DATES

SAVE THE DATES



Wednesday, October 21, 2009

MORE INFO ON LARRY SHEFFIELD--(FROM THE DAYTONA NEWS-JOURNAL)


James "Larry" Sheffield, 64, DeLand,

passed away on October 16, 2009 at the Florida Hospital DeLand.
Larry was born on September 29, 1945 in Sanford, North Carolina to Elijah Abraham and Eula Alice Culberson Sheffield.
For many, many years he worked as the Concessions Manager for Clyde Beatty Cole Bros. Circus. He was a true showman, one of the last of a dying breed.

At his request, no service will be held at this time. A private memorial service will be held around Thanksgiving in Hugo, Oklahoma.

Survivors include his loving wife and best friend, Sheila Sheffield; his dog, Holly Girl; his two brothers, Gary and Bill Sheffield; his sister, Polly Reynolds and many other friends who are and always will be considered family.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to the Cancer Care National Office, 275 7th Avenue, New York, New York 10001, or by telephone at (212) 712-8400 or online at http://www.cancercare.org/.

For a personal online condolence or to sign the guest book, please go to www.cfandcs.com.

2 comments:

  1. I worked for the King Show in the years 71,72 and 73. Met Larry and Sheila at that time. David Rawls was concessions manager. David's Dad, Harry was the show manager. At the time of my departure I was asst. Bull man. George Sanders was the superintedent. I went on to do groom work for horses. hunters and jumpers as well as Race horses all over the east coast. worked all venues. The Garden. florida Suncoast circuit{76} Middleburg, Va.{81,82&83]I'm on F.B." Richard E. Smith." I was thinking of my old show days and was trying to see if anybody was still around. Saw David a few years ago when the Kelly miller Show played Plumsteadville,PA. Talked to Bobby Rawls via his son.
    Anyway, Reguardes to the Hugo Crew.ALL my blessings Sheila. Say hello to the Folks for me. :Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear of Larry Sheffield's death. I worked on CB-CBros. as show painter and night manager and got to know him at that time. Thought the best of him and as you say, he was a find showman. My condolences to Sheila and members of his family.
    I also remember you and your brother from our only meeting over on Stu Miller's American Showtime Circus. You guys were working the Conns. and was leaving after a few more shows. I was painting for Stu at the time and he ask if I wanted to take the Conns. over when you guys left. That was I, believe the only time we got to talk and thought of you guys a lot. Zollie Winn Sailorbillshop@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete


TO VISIT OUR PAST POSTS--SCROLL DOWN THE SIDE BAR. ALSO LINKS ARE FURTHER DOWN