THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO MY TWIN BROTHER, BILL DYKES (1943-1995). WE WERE NOT ONLY BROTHERS BUT PARTNERS IN BUSINESS AND BEST FRIENDS! AND TO ALL THE "BUTCHERS" THAT HAVE PASSED ON TO THE BIG LOT IN THE SKY!


CIRCUS NOW OPEN!

2014 Convention

SAVE THE DATES

SAVE THE DATES



Wednesday, April 14, 2010

COLE BROS IN FLORENCE SC


Cole Bros. Circus visits Florence
Steffani A. Nolte/MORNING NEWS
Jason Walker tames tigers Monday during the Cole Brothers Circus at the Florence Regional Airport. Published: March 29, 2010 Updated: March 30, 2010
FLORENCE — The Florida-based Cole Brother’s Circus has been performing since 1884 with its current stop being Florence.
Its owner, John Pugh, joined the circus 51 years ago as a gymnast.
“We say anyone who joins the circus has to be a little bit crazy traveling around the country all year,” he said. “My 51 years here, I’ve enjoyed every minute of it.”
Part of the reason it is so enjoyable, Pugh said, is because the circus staff members treat each other like family because in some cases they are.
Pugh said most people either run away to join the circus or they are born into it, like Jason Walker.
This is Walker’s first year being in the circus, but his family was in the circus, as well. He is carrying on the family tradition with the mixed animal act.
Walker said his favorite part about the circus is working with the animals.
“I get to work with these guys every day. My favorite part is being best friends with these guys,” he said. “I sleep next to them, they are right outside of my trailer every day and I love them so I wouldn’t want to be far away.”
Walker has been around some of the animals for their entire lives, like 6-year-old Laurence the camel.
“He’s a big boy, but he’s still a baby to me. But that’s what I love most about these guys,” Walker said.
Working for a circus isn’t all fun and games. It’s hard work. Performers work for nine and a half months of the year, seven days a week.
“My wife says, ‘Why are you going on the road again? You don’t need to be on the road,’” Pugh said. “And I say ‘if you think I’m going to just sit at home, you’re crazy.’”
The Cole Brother’s Circus will finish up its performances at 4:30 and 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Florence Regional Airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment


TO VISIT OUR PAST POSTS--SCROLL DOWN THE SIDE BAR. ALSO LINKS ARE FURTHER DOWN