THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO MY TWIN BROTHER, BILL DYKES (1943-1995). WE WERE NOT ONLY BROTHERS BUT PARTNERS IN BUSINESS AND BEST FRIENDS! AND TO ALL THE "BUTCHERS" THAT HAVE PASSED ON TO THE BIG LOT IN THE SKY!


CIRCUS NOW OPEN!

2014 Convention

SAVE THE DATES

SAVE THE DATES



Friday, September 23, 2011

Knutsford juggler brings Moscow State Circus home

Paul Archer left his Cheshire home at the age of 16 determined to make his name as a circus performer.


Mr Archer and two friends bought the UK rights for the circus earlier in 2011


20 September 2011

Thirty-three years later, he has returned to Knutsford with a circus career behind him and as director of one of the world's most famous troupes, the Moscow State Circus.
It has been a long and varied journey for Mr Archer, but he says it started as a child on parkland in his former home town.
"The first time I ever saw a circus was on the Knutsford Heath when I was about six years old.
"It was sheer excitement, I'd discovered the circus.
"I was captured by the complete spectacle of it and the magic; the fact that it appeared overnight, held performances and then was gone again, with just a bit of sawdust on the ground in memory of it."
That spectacle enthralled him to such an extent that he decided that when he grew up, he would join a circus.


Mr Archer performed all over the UK and abroad as a circus jugglerBedroom practice He says he soon started to teach himself to juggle, a talent which would go on to help him secure his place in the ring.
"I was fascinated by all aspects of the circus, but something I could take up readily was juggling.
"I picked up some juggling balls and started practising in my bedroom.
"Juggling became four, five hours a day, with my mother looking on in shock and horror that I was going to spend a lot of time doing this."


By his 16th birthday, he was proficient, but he says what really allowed him to become a top class performer was a chance meeting in Weston-super-Mare.
"I bumped into a juggler at a bus stop, who was also a historian of juggling.
"He had old cut-outs of some very famous jugglers - he showed me them all and then gave them to me.
"It was mind-boggling, the things I saw, and that inspired me to greater things."
read more at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-14987322

No comments:

Post a Comment


TO VISIT OUR PAST POSTS--SCROLL DOWN THE SIDE BAR. ALSO LINKS ARE FURTHER DOWN