THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO MY TWIN BROTHER, BILL DYKES (1943-1995). WE WERE NOT ONLY BROTHERS BUT PARTNERS IN BUSINESS AND BEST FRIENDS! AND TO ALL THE "BUTCHERS" THAT HAVE PASSED ON TO THE BIG LOT IN THE SKY!


CIRCUS NOW OPEN!

2014 Convention

SAVE THE DATES

SAVE THE DATES



Saturday, October 22, 2011

Worth a buck? Spider Girl, alive with eight legs!


newsobserver.com blogs

Submitted by brookecain on 10/19/2011

Okay, if that lady in there is a real spider, so am I.
The most interesting thing about this "show" is that apparently, enough people go in to see it to justify it being included in the Powers Great American Midway lineup each year.
This looks to me like a tiny tiny woman in a plush spider suit. And when I say "plush" I mean like a stuffed animal. I could see putting someone in a real looking spider suit and at least making me feel a little creeped out (I'm TERRIFIED of spiders), but this was so fake and harmless looking that it was funny. They don't even try to make it look real. Oh, it's a real "live" woman's head, but it's either sitting on top of a spider suit or that woman's body is stuffed inside it.
I asked the Spider Girl if she could move any of her eight legs. "No," she answered. "They have me tied down pretty tight here." Sure they do. I mean, wouldn't you?
I was checking out the spider girl with Shirley and Earlene from Caroline County, Virginia.
"I don't think it's real," Shirley said. "I can't believe it would be." Shirley thought there might have been an optical illusion that hid the woman's full body. Possible. (I just can't get over how little effort they put into making the spider suit look remotely real!).
"She's a midget," Earlene pronounced. Period.
But is it worth the $1 admission? Remarkably, they both said it was. Even if just to satisfy their curiosity. So there you go. That's how they make the money. Not by trying to fool us into believing it's real, but by making us curious enough to confirm what we already pretty much know: there's no such thing as a woman with the body of a spider. Thank God.

No comments:

Post a Comment


TO VISIT OUR PAST POSTS--SCROLL DOWN THE SIDE BAR. ALSO LINKS ARE FURTHER DOWN