THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO MY TWIN BROTHER, BILL DYKES (1943-1995). WE WERE NOT ONLY BROTHERS BUT PARTNERS IN BUSINESS AND BEST FRIENDS! AND TO ALL THE "BUTCHERS" THAT HAVE PASSED ON TO THE BIG LOT IN THE SKY!


CIRCUS NOW OPEN!

2014 Convention

SAVE THE DATES

SAVE THE DATES



Friday, May 2, 2014

Sheffield circus act breaks world axe-juggling record

from- thestar.co.uk 
by Ellen Beardmore
May 1, 2014

Sheffield circus act Chris Marley holds a world record that is tough to handle - the most consecutive axe juggling catches.

The 29-year-old has made history – and his way into the Guinness World Records book – by catching an astonishing 369 throws in a row.

Chris, of Upperthorpe, trained for months to perfect his technique and beat the previous record held by American Max Winfrey by 200 catches.

He said: “I trained using the axes, because there isn’t really a way around it – they have a pretty unusual weight distribution.

“It was difficult and I had a couple of near misses, but all my fingers and toes are still intact.

“It feels good to be a record holder, all the hard work has paid off.

“The only problem now is I have a load of axes which I don’t need.”

Chris has been juggling for 12 years and trains at Sheffield’s Greentop Circus in Wincobank, although he travels the country to perform as a freelance juggler.

The world record was smashed at Greentop in November and filmed for Guinness adjudicators who have now made it official.
A panel of experts and independent witnesses watched, while Chris also had to chop wood with each of the axes to show they were sharp and fit for purpose.

He said: “It started when I was a teenager and then I started getting bookings, did some part-time work and now I am professional, so really it is a hobby that got out of hand.

“I’ve been juggling for years and wanted to try something a little bit different and break a world record.

“Friends were surprised when I told them about the axe juggling, but when I tell people what I do for a living, they don’t always believe me anyway.

“I’d never say never about another world record, but not at the moment,although I have got some stuff in the pipeline for new tricks.”

No comments:

Post a Comment


TO VISIT OUR PAST POSTS--SCROLL DOWN THE SIDE BAR. ALSO LINKS ARE FURTHER DOWN