THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO MY TWIN BROTHER, BILL DYKES (1943-1995). WE WERE NOT ONLY BROTHERS BUT PARTNERS IN BUSINESS AND BEST FRIENDS! AND TO ALL THE "BUTCHERS" THAT HAVE PASSED ON TO THE BIG LOT IN THE SKY!


CIRCUS NOW OPEN!

2014 Convention

SAVE THE DATES

SAVE THE DATES



Monday, August 11, 2008

Patches

In 1996 in Gibsonton I had a Concession Manager from a pretty good size show approach
me with a proposition to frame a Picture on the Pony concession stand.
Well I'm not much for working for someone else so I decided to try it myself.
I had a nice backdrop painted for me, called Phillip Morris in Charlotte and ordered the costumes for the kids to wear. And went to Sam's Club and bought one of those flimsy fold up tops. But one thing remained to get and that was the right pony for the job.
Well I got up north and had to work getting my goldfish game ready but still no pony.
Well not to far from the shows winterquarters Roberts Bros. Circus was playing a one day stand.
So I went to visit friends that I was with the year before. And what do you think they had a pony off the pony ride that they had retired. She had been with them since she was a baby and only worked in the pony ride. Her name was Patches and I fell in love with her right away.
So I promised to give her a good home. And that's how I wound up with the pony.
She was great, nothing spooked her after all she had been around noise and crowds all of her life.
She was around 11 or 12 years old and in great shape. So we put her to work.
The hardest thing I ever did was at the end of the season I didn't know how I would get her home or where I could keep her. So I sold her and the joint to a friend of mine who had horses in Delmar, DE and he promised Me that if I ever wanted her back she was mine.
So I took my equipment home to Florida and had to come back for a truck. But a friend of mine in Gibsonton who had animals told me to bring her down and keep her at his place.
Well just my luck when I got back up ther to pick up the truck I knew that he still had her.
Well to make a long story short He didn't. He gave Patches to a little girl who had been very sick.
Now I was sick. I really missed that pony! But I found out she did get a nice home and some loving people to take care of her. That did make me feel better but I kicked myself all the way back to Florida!

No comments:

Post a Comment


TO VISIT OUR PAST POSTS--SCROLL DOWN THE SIDE BAR. ALSO LINKS ARE FURTHER DOWN