THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO MY TWIN BROTHER, BILL DYKES (1943-1995). WE WERE NOT ONLY BROTHERS BUT PARTNERS IN BUSINESS AND BEST FRIENDS! AND TO ALL THE "BUTCHERS" THAT HAVE PASSED ON TO THE BIG LOT IN THE SKY!


CIRCUS NOW OPEN!

2014 Convention

SAVE THE DATES

SAVE THE DATES



Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ball State student soared through sky in Peru Amateur Circus


PHOTO COURTESY OF KATHI GREEN

Kylee Cress and other trapeze artists perform during the Premier Rampe National Youth Circus Competition in 2007. Cress is a sophomore at Ball State.
By Sam Watermeier
Tuesday, April 19, 2011
Ball State Daily News
Kylee Cress said people don't trust her when she mentions her past. The girl who spent her spare time poring over magazines, soaking in the rich details of its design as a teenager had a more unusual hobby growing up.
"Most people don't believe me when I tell them I was in a circus," Cress said. "I always have to show them photos or videos of my acts."
Sophomore video art major Corrinne LeNeave was one of the non-believers initially.
"It's insanely awesome," she said. "I can't wait to tell everyone that my roommate is a trapeze artist."
The sophomore journalism graphics major aspires to be a design editor for a music and fashion magazine, but for 12 years she was a trapeze artist for the Peru Amateur Circus.
Like her passion for magazine design, Cress had an interest in the circus sparked at a young age. Her family played a large part in lighting the fuse.
"I always knew that my mom performed as a child, and when I watched my sister perform, I couldn't wait until I was old enough to perform," she said.
Cress was ready for the circus by the age of 7. When she saw other performers, she desperately wanted to swing from the ropes with them. She said it was surreal when her dream became a reality.
"I always looked up to a girl that was in my sister's hand-balancing act," she said. "I wanted to be just like her. It's funny now that I know her, and we're actually good friends."
The Peru Amateur Circus is based in Miami County, Ind., and has approximately 250 young performers from age 7 to 21. For the performers, circus training begins in March for the 10 shows, which take place the second week of July.
Among her accomplishments, Cress performed in the Premiere Rampe Circus Competition of Monte Carlo, Monaco, for Prince Albert and Princess Stephanie.
Cress said the circus was her inspiration, which a lot of people are taken aback by. In turn, Cress often has to disprove misconceptions regarding circus work.
"When people find out that I was a part of a circus, they are usually pretty shocked, because when most people think of the circus, they think of side shows and carnies, but that's not what our show is about at all," Cress said.
Last year, Cress decided to focus her summer on work and preparing for college, although she doesn't plan on retiring from the circus entirely.
"I do plan on going back every year to help with the rigging and the performances," she said. "I could actually get a scholarship for going back and helping out. And later on, I might go back and perform in an alumni show, but that would be a long time from now."
For now, Cress' attention is on magazines. Although she does not plan on performing regularly, the circus still courses through her veins

No comments:

Post a Comment


TO VISIT OUR PAST POSTS--SCROLL DOWN THE SIDE BAR. ALSO LINKS ARE FURTHER DOWN