THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO MY TWIN BROTHER, BILL DYKES (1943-1995). WE WERE NOT ONLY BROTHERS BUT PARTNERS IN BUSINESS AND BEST FRIENDS! AND TO ALL THE "BUTCHERS" THAT HAVE PASSED ON TO THE BIG LOT IN THE SKY!


CIRCUS NOW OPEN!

2014 Convention

SAVE THE DATES

SAVE THE DATES



Monday, April 18, 2011

FROM SCOTT BUNDY---

Venice circus celebration aims to preserve arena

By KEN HAGGERTY, Correspondent

Saturday, April 16, 2011

From: The Sarasota Herald-Tribune VENICE - Clowns and jesters joined forces Saturday as over 200 volunteers and supporters of the Venice Circus Arena Foundation took charge of the historic local landmark to celebrate the second annual World Circus Day. Established by Princess Stephanie of Monaco in honor of her parents' love of the circus and its traditions, the worldwide event had a special meaning for Venice resident and the Foundation's president and founder, Tito Gaona. "My brothers and I performed for Prince Ranier and Grace Kelly in the late Fifties," Gaona said. "Their daughter, Princess Stephanie, was just a little girl at that time, but she admitted to me many years later she was enthralled by my family's performances. Since then, she has supported the traditions of the circus and was determined to support the circus in all its diversity. She simply fell in love with the history of the circus." However, Gaona, who has entertained audiences throughout the world as a trapeze artist, realized the day also had significance to Venice. "I spent my professional life here," he said pointing to the abandoned arena. "I hear my friends' voices when I walk in that building and they inspire me. Unity creates power. "Here in Venice, this arena can bring people together. We are trying to make a difference," he said. "On this site, we can change so many people's lives. I want to be part of that change." Stepping down from the trapeze class that was being held throughout the day, Bostonian Kim Ingegneri was glad she stopped by. "Taking trapeze lesson with Tito was on my bucket list," Ingegneri said. "My parents live here and when they told me about today, I knew I had to just try. The day has just been wonderful."read more at:http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20110416/ARTICLE/110419590?p=1&tc=pg

No comments:

Post a Comment


TO VISIT OUR PAST POSTS--SCROLL DOWN THE SIDE BAR. ALSO LINKS ARE FURTHER DOWN