THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO MY TWIN BROTHER, BILL DYKES (1943-1995). WE WERE NOT ONLY BROTHERS BUT PARTNERS IN BUSINESS AND BEST FRIENDS! AND TO ALL THE "BUTCHERS" THAT HAVE PASSED ON TO THE BIG LOT IN THE SKY!


CIRCUS NOW OPEN!

2014 Convention

SAVE THE DATES

SAVE THE DATES



Sunday, February 26, 2012

Circus families keep Big Top traditions alive




By AFP


Published Sunday, February 26, 2012


As a kid, Clayton Rosaire didn’t share his home with average housepets.His backyard was filled with lions and tigers.
"I’m actually the ninth generation of my family to be a animal handler and entertainer//I chose big cats because that’s what I love - that’s what I grew up around They've always been a part of my family, and I have a special bond with big cats."
The Rosaires are one of a handful of circus families in Sarasota, Florida who make sure that circus entertainment lives on.
After years of performing around the world, their act now supports a big cat sanctuary they founded to rescue exotic animals.
"Well you feel very proud of your heritage you know. We're proud of who we are, because it's a great art form."
"After spending my whole life around animals and you know really having them as part of my family since the day I was born - you can't help but fall in love with them.”
Just down the road, another circus act is performing.
A seventh generation circus entertainer, Alex performs with his dad Tino Wallenda in The Flying Wallendas.
"As I grew up, I was always watching my parents first - and then sooner or later my sisters - go up on that high-wire and it was just a natural inclination to want to get up there and be performing and spending time with my family."
The Wallenda family has been a circus act for more than 200 years. During the circus glory days they were a main attraction for The Ringling Brothers’ "Greatest Show on Earth".
The risky business of walking tight rope might be dangerous, but the Wallendas know it's a way to keep the circus tradition safe for generations to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment


TO VISIT OUR PAST POSTS--SCROLL DOWN THE SIDE BAR. ALSO LINKS ARE FURTHER DOWN