THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO MY TWIN BROTHER, BILL DYKES (1943-1995). WE WERE NOT ONLY BROTHERS BUT PARTNERS IN BUSINESS AND BEST FRIENDS! AND TO ALL THE "BUTCHERS" THAT HAVE PASSED ON TO THE BIG LOT IN THE SKY!


CIRCUS NOW OPEN!

2014 Convention

SAVE THE DATES

SAVE THE DATES



Friday, March 2, 2012

Send in the (real) clowns: Daily Newser's attempt to run away with the circus falls flat

Reporter learns that Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey clown try-outs are much tougher than they look


Marcus Santos for New York Daily News
Daily News reporter Dan Beekman shows off his juggling skills during Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey auditions for would-be clowns at Grand Central Terminal.
from: nydailynews.com

For three awkward minutes Tuesday, I felt like The Greatest Dope on Earth. Then a professional clown and a little person came to my rescue.
Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey were holding open auditions for aspiring clowns at Grand Central Terminal. When my editor found out I could juggle, my fate was sealed.
As a reporter, I sometimes check out scary slums and crime scenes. But the prospect of clowning around in public gave me the chills.
I rushed to Grand Central and fastened a red clown nose on my schnoz with trepidation.
There were seasoned circus performers from Ringling in the crowd and about 30 would-be clowns, most with amusing gags and serious skills.

Bryan Smith for New York Daily NewsGigi the clown greets Sal Furia and son Anthony of Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, at the auditions.
Matthew Belopavlonich, 25, trekked all the way from Tampa, FL to try out.
“My dream job is to be a clown,” said Belopavlonich, who impressed the Ringling judges with a dance routine. “Clowning is the only thing in the world I would drop everything for.”
Before long, I was the clown dropping everything. I began my act with three small juggling balls, tossing them side to side. Then two of the balls collided and went flying across Grand Central.
Next I tried to juggle a bright orange soccer ball with my feet. But it skidded away. The crowd was chuckling and I was all alone under the lights with no backup plan and a bad case of stage fright.
I almost hugged Ringling veterans Henry Higinio and Paolo Cesar when they showed up to help.
The clown and little person juggled with me and taught me some tricks. After the fiasco ended, Higinio, sporting a bowler hat and lipstick, offered encouragement.
“You need practice,” he said. “But it was your first time.”



Some of the aspiring clown hopefuls who attended the auditions in Vanderbilt Hall this morning.
Manhattan elevator technician Ray Gomez, 43, who brought his grandson to watch the show, was more honest. “You suck,” he said. “I could see you sweat and the juggling was just bad.”
I removed my clown nose sadly and sulked until four-year-old Chase Clark piped up.
“I liked it,” my tiny fan said.
I brightened, briefly.
“You were funny when you dropped the ball," said Clark.
Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey will perform several shows next month at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., the Izod Center in East Rutherford, N.J. and the Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale.
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/send-real-clowns-daily-newser-attempt-run-circus-falls-flat-article-1.1030156#ixzz1nxY27Yr4


No comments:

Post a Comment


TO VISIT OUR PAST POSTS--SCROLL DOWN THE SIDE BAR. ALSO LINKS ARE FURTHER DOWN