THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO MY TWIN BROTHER, BILL DYKES (1943-1995). WE WERE NOT ONLY BROTHERS BUT PARTNERS IN BUSINESS AND BEST FRIENDS! AND TO ALL THE "BUTCHERS" THAT HAVE PASSED ON TO THE BIG LOT IN THE SKY!


CIRCUS NOW OPEN!

2014 Convention

SAVE THE DATES

SAVE THE DATES



Sunday, October 26, 2008

FROM THE MERIDIAN STAR NEWSPAPER (Oct 22, 2008)

A photo journal
By Lindsey Key
PHOTOS BY LINDSEY KEY / THE MERIDIAN STAR


A week ago I had a photo assignment for the front page. I was going to the Cole Bros. Circus. It was my first time to attend a circus! I was so excited for this assignment.
When I got there, I felt like little child standing in awe. The color, the smell and the sounds rushed over me as I walked through the gate. The feeling was amazing.
During the show I found myself watching the performance, more often than not, instead of taking the photos I needed for work. That's when I got the idea to follow the circus to Jackson. I wanted to document the excitement I felt when I went for what I thought was my first time. My mom later told me I had gone before when I was 3. How can a 3 year old remember anything about the circus? The color, smell and sounds would be the most a child that small could remember ... especially me. Then the idea completely revealed itself.
My statement was now to show what happens behind the curtains ... to get a glimpse of how these families live and travel together. I wanted to show the fantasy side of the circus — the side we all dream about as kids, the same side we remember as adults. When our memory fails us and all is left is a blur.
I hope you all enjoy the photos.
http://www.meridianstar.com/local/local_story_296175434.html

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting...Excellent pictures...Would like to sign the young lady up in the Circus Fans Association......Also, brings us up to date on Cole Bros late in the season.....Looks like Carson & Barnes elephants...If I'm not correct please correct me...Thank you Johnny Pugh for bringing Cole Bros. out this Season...

    ReplyDelete


TO VISIT OUR PAST POSTS--SCROLL DOWN THE SIDE BAR. ALSO LINKS ARE FURTHER DOWN