THIS BLOG IS DEDICATED TO MY TWIN BROTHER, BILL DYKES (1943-1995). WE WERE NOT ONLY BROTHERS BUT PARTNERS IN BUSINESS AND BEST FRIENDS! AND TO ALL THE "BUTCHERS" THAT HAVE PASSED ON TO THE BIG LOT IN THE SKY!


CIRCUS NOW OPEN!

2014 Convention

SAVE THE DATES

SAVE THE DATES



Sunday, April 7, 2013

GREAT RUSSIAN CIRCUS

Circus still working its magic


The Great Moscow Cicrus is coming to Canberra.
Photo: Scott Burrage
from: canberratimes.com.au
by Ron Cerabona
April 7, 2013
It isn't often I can say I have risked my life in the line of duty. But this was one of those times. In a moment of madness, I had volunteered to take part in an act of the Great Moscow Circus to get a bit of a feeling for the institution.

At first it was going to be in the Globe of Death - standing inside a not-very-big metal globe while one, two, three, four and then five motorcycles whizzed around in gravity-defying and all-too-close patterns. But then the circus's general manager, Greg Hall, decided that would be too difficult. I was relieved - until he mentioned the alternative: having knives thrown at me by sixth-generation Brazilian circus performer Alfredo Silva.

''I call him Alfredo the Inaccurate,'' Hall says, a wicked twinkle in his eye.
''At least you've got him in the afternoon. He's not very good in the morning. We're trying to give you a fair chance.''
This did nothing to boost my confidence. Not being asked to sign a waiver did, sort of, until I wondered just why that might be. But there wasn't time to think about it too much: I was told to lean against the slightly tilted board with my back to it and my hands crossed over my chest. It was like being in a coffin, as Hall took pleasure in noting.


Ron Cerabona braves some knives thrown by 'Alfredo the Inaccurate'.
Silva stood only a few feet away and pulled out his knives, six of them, and I was reminded to stand still. Not that it was necessary: I was petrified. My brother-in-law turned on his video camera: if it came to the worst, at least there'd be a record of my last moments. It would be something to sell to a tabloid TV show, or at least put on YouTube.
 
Posted by Picasa
And lives to tell the tale.
THWACK! THWACK! THWACK!
THWACK! THWACK! THWACK!
I could feel the impact as each knife plunged into the wood. I couldn't see how near they came, but it may have been better that way, and I flinched a bit - but not too much, mindful of the potential consequences.

Then it was all over - or so I thought.

''Turn to the side,'' I was ordered, and then I was told to lean back a little. I don't have a svelte figure, unlike Silva's usual assistant, and thus the amount of board for him to aim at was considerably reduced. Once again came the series of thwacks, from my legs to up around my torso, higher and higher. Again, I flinched a little. But not too much.
Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/entertainment/stage/circus-still-working-its-magic-20130402-2h4h5.html#ixzz2Pm3Z7tyS

No comments:

Post a Comment


TO VISIT OUR PAST POSTS--SCROLL DOWN THE SIDE BAR. ALSO LINKS ARE FURTHER DOWN