Six burning questions for ... Lilikoi
Circus performer Lilikoi.
By Max Olijnyk
April 20, 2014
1. YOU'RE ALREADY SUCH AN ESTABLISHED PERFORMER WITH MANY STRINGS TO YOUR BOW. WHY JOIN FORCES WITH CIRCUS OZ?
I think it's a really important time in the evolution of Circus Oz. They're turning over some really exciting new pages and I had to be a part of that book.
2. HOW DOES THE REALITY OF BEING A CIRCUS PERFORMER DIFFER TO WHAT PEOPLE THINK OF IT?
People see you on stage and think you only work for an hour, but there is a lot of training to develop those skills. You get to see the razzmatazz version. We do get to wear sequins, so that's pretty awesome.
3. DO YOU HAVE INTERESTS OUTSIDE OF THE CIRCUS?
It's pretty all-encompassing. It's not a job you can switch off from. I'm always hanging out with other carnies and going to see other shows.
4. HOW DID YOU GET STARTED IN THE INDUSTRY?
My mum's a Hawaiian circus performer. I went on stage when I was three months old. I could hang off a trapeze before I could walk.
5. THE NEW SHOW BUT WAIT … THERE'S MORE SATIRISES THE FAST-PACED LIFESTYLE MANY OF US LEAD TODAY. ARE YOU A PART OF THAT TOO?
I'm totally part of it. I was sitting on my phone before checking my email, my Facebook, while running through my hoops and talking to someone and I thought, ''How am I doing all this at once?''
6. DO YOU LOOK FAR AHEAD WITH YOUR CAREER?
As a physical performer, there's a time frame on how long you can do it for. You have to take care of yourself and focus.
But Wait…There's More, Birrarung Marr, June 18 -July 13, circusoz.com
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/six-burning-questions-for--lilikoi-20140417-36tab.html#ixzz2zS4kLeo7